Sunday, September 2, 2007

UC, Week One

With the first offical week of classes behind me, I can confidently say that the UC experience has been the most enjoyable classroom setting. Rather than sit static for 75 minutes and listen to a teacher lecture I am able to learn about my classmates and participate in healthy discussion. It is a nice change of pace to have a class that is based upon the views and interests of those enrolled. Without the barrier of standardized testing looming over the curriculum it can focus on the actual issues.
As we all know, one of the unique aspects of the UC program is that we all live together in the same hall (vive leonard 7!) and do most of the same activites and eat the same meals. In many aspects this could be a potential hazardous affair. I am beginning to realize that the way people act in the classroom setting is much different than the way you see them on a Friday night. In many ways having this close-knit community is good. As Lauren touches upon,
http://loliticstml.blogspot.com/2007/09/reflection1.htmltouches it allows for classroom conversations to be expanded, clarified, and augmented as the day goes forth. However as Friday's class offered some heated but respectful exchanges, it is apparent that people are very opinionated. I find that this is a bit like if a married couple worked at the same company, in the same room, and for the same boss. Eventually people would become easily agitated with each other. Now, I'm certainly not implying that there is tension within the UC but I just think it is worth mentioning. There is ample time for discussion outside of class and I think that to a certain extent class time should not be dominated by one or two people having back-and-forth exchanges., We should be conscious not to turn this into a game of Big Brother or Survivor.
All in all, I am really enjoying the UC program. I am especially looking forwared to preparing some sweet videos ( a musical, perhaps?) and having some good structured debates and simulations. I can only imagine where our imaginative minds will take us.

No comments: