Saturday, October 13, 2007

EU, marginalization

I am glad that I got to visit the EU this week. The presentation was informative and I was pleasantly surprised at how willing the speaker was to answer our questions and give his opinions. I would have like to have had a tour of the building or get to know a little more about the inner workings of the organization. Nevertheless, It was a refreshing change of pace from the more uptight world that is the US Department of State. I think it just reaffirms my positive view of Europe and it's philosophies. The trip was also accentuated by a side excursion to an Afghan kabob house in Dupont. Tuesday's discussion on marginalization brought up some good points but I wasn't very keen on using "creepy" Ian as the target. I have never even met this person and the fact that the whole class ripped on him (and that PTJ allowed it to continue) came as somewhat as a surprise to me. I also wished we could have spend some time on the assigned article because I thought it made some good point and I really would have liked to analyze and try to understand it more. I will also briefly say that I myself was involved in the now infamous "AIM chat" and that I do not have any qualms with the situation. I believe it is a perfectly acceptable way to stay engaged in the disccusion as well as to bounce ideas of each other during class.

No comments: