Monday, October 22, 2007

reflection 8. spies and nuclear missiles

I really enjoyed wednesdays class. The spy museum was definately an interesting place to explore and they had a bunch of good war history and artifacts. I especially liked the sections they had about WWII and the german code enigma's. It was an interesting fact that I had never really looked into with much detail. Obviously another highlight of the day was attending the Dali Lama ceremony. Although it was not an "official" class activity I thought it was cool to be there in the midst of such an occasion. His holiness did not adress the crowd in english, but through a translator he conveyed his ideas of world peace via inner peace and how we much all work together in a non-violent way to achieve unity. Now, I'm not one to say that world peace is a realistic goal, but it is encouraging to know that people out there are trying hard to attain that goal.

So...friday's class. I suppose "interesting" might be a good word to describe what it included. First of all, I think the artcile we read was complete BS and I don't know why anyone would take what Ms. Cohn had to say seriously. It seems to me that she is just a paranoid feminist who likes to pick on men and is just pissed off that she can't have the same job they can. Instead of going around complaining and acting like some self righteous preacher she should just relax about the whole thing. The discussion we had in class about the use of nuclear "jargon" was totally pointless and I can't believe people actually cared so much. It doesn't matter what words you use its the same thing. Nuclear warefare isn't guys night playing Halo 3...it's a serious matter. I don't think you can fault a security force for calling a hole a hole or a shaft a shaft. Different missiles are different sizes and its ubsurd to draw any further conclusions. Hell, I could take just about anything and make it into sexual innuendo. In fact, I believe there is a facebook group of that name. The point it is there is no point. You can't expect world peace or that you are just going to "get rid" or all nuclear technology whatsoever. The fact that we were forced to disgaree with the preeceding comment only made it worse. Don't get me wrong, that stragety works when debating issues like abortion or taxes or healthcare but when you are talking about what some crazy lady thinks about what guys do it's so stupid. We can spend our class time fantasizing about the ideal society or we can learn about actual real issues that affect the world.

No comments: